Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Documentary - To Educate A Girl

     As an educator I know the value of education, and it`s not just simply to get a job, but how to think. Don`t get me wrong, I am not diminishing the importance of seeking employment; getting a job is something to be celebrated, especially in times of economic and political uncertainty. I am saying education allows you the opportunity to live your dreams by creating your dreams, and giving you the intellectual and practical tools you need to bring those dreams to reality. But just how accessible is education to everybody? I would say here in the United States education is very accessible to American citizens. Sure, there are debates and arguments regarding the quality education in the US, but in general, education is accessible to Americans. How accessible is education to others around the World, especially for girls?

     To Educate A Girl seeks to answer this question - what does it take to educate a girl? This documentary from producers/directors Frederick Rendina and Oren Rudavsky is in response to the United Nations global initiative to provide girls with equal access to education by 2015. To Educate A Girl had its debut at the October 10, 2010 Mill Valley Film Festival, with a LINK TV broadcast premiere on June 24, 2011, and was rebroadcast on June 28. This is an important documentary to see, and you can view it now by going to http://www.viewchange.org/videos/to-educate-a-girl.

     As a father of a beautiful daughter who means the world to me, I want my daughter to have equal access to education, and other opportunities open and available to all. Let me know what you think; post a comment to this blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment