Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Arguments on When a Jazz Fest is, or is not a Jazz Fest

     The couple of days ago I came across an interesting on-line article in All About Jazz. I suggest you read the article by John Kelman, by going to http://www.allaboutjazz.com/php/article.php?id=39539 and see what he has to say. I also suggest you read the post and comments on Kelman`s article, which also led me to post three comments where I share my opinions.

     So, what do I believe? I believe jazz festivals should remain jazz festivals, just as a blue grass music festival, rap, or classical piano festival should remain true to its audience and supporters. In John Kelman`s article entitled - When is a Jazz Festival (Not) a Jazz Festival? points to non-jazz artist participating in jazz festivals around the World, which goes against my belief, and understanding as to what a jazz festival is. Of course festival organizers deal with the complex issues around funding jazz festivals, with both private and public resources; money. Should festival organizers by-in to corporate dictates regarding jazz festivals by allowing festivals to resemble pop concerts, or should organizers maintain an artistic integrity of a 100% jazz festival.

     I am interested to read what you think. please leave a comment this blog.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment