Sunday, May 15, 2011

Urban Theatre

     About a week ago I received a newsletter from Shawn P Entertainment (May/June Newsletter), and I was truly captured by Lanette M. White`s post entitled  L-BOOGIE SPEAKS...The State of Urban Theatre. Go to http://wp.me/pJ4c3-aA to see the post that I agree with.

     L-BOOGIE SPEAKS points to the quality of urban theatrical productions by saying there is a downward spiral of productions regarding scripts, and acting. It does seem as though the majority of African-American productions are centered around a "Big Mama"; the Black Church, and a "Boys in the Hood" theme, with clownery, or loud and out of control behavior. Don`t get me wrong, I think these productions should be staged, but as L-BOOGIE SPEAKS ask; can we be more creative with our presentation? Do we have other stories to tell other than big mama, the church, and the hood? I think we do. 

No comments:

Post a Comment