Wednesday, March 20, 2013

To Teach, Or To Mentor; That Is The Question

     The American Century Dictionary defines teaching as giving systematic information, instruction or training to a person about a subject or skill. That same dictionary refers to mentoring as the act of being mentored by an experienced or trusted adviser or teacher. Are they one in the same, or different? Teaching and mentoring are different, but both are vital, especially now when music students may be choosing music as a career choice, or forced to enter music due to lack of opportunities in other fields and industries.

     Music teachers are concerned with the pedagogy of teaching. This makes perfect sense. Teachers, including music teachers provide classes, instructions, and lessons with the use of curriculum guides, method books, and other teaching guides and resources. Music teachers provide a systematic and formal process for seriously learning music that can equip and prepare students with technique and skills to enter the work force as professional musicians. No one can argue the importance and value of music teachers in the music business and profession.

     Mentors provide a model, and important information for younger musicians. This is important because  information is coming from experienced and trusted practitioners of music. Is mentoring in music overlooked and undervalued? No, I cannot say it is. However, the importance of mentoring must not be understated. I think it is save to say every musician performing professionally (or almost every musician) has been mentored by caring artist who were concerned about the growth and well being of younger players. Ernest Rodgers and Sam Sanders taught me more than eighth notes, phrasing, tone quality, and ii-V7-I changes, they introduced me to other great musicians. Along with my Mother and Father, these men were people I could look to in my journey to growth as a musician, man and human being.

     Now it`s my turn, along with those musicians I grew up with in Detroit that are my peers. We are making a difference. Many of us now have former students who are contributing as citizens to our nation. We even have students who have chosen music as their career choice and path. I currently have students I am so proud of, and have bright futures ahead of them. I invite my current and former students to seek me as a mentor.

     Although teaching and mentoring are different, they both have important things in common. Both teaching and mentoring is a calling to serve. They both call upon us to pass-on from one generation to the next the music and art that has come before us from previous generations, and to create new art and music to be treasured. We are the culture bearers today, and our students are the culture bearers of tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment