Thursday, March 14, 2013

Jam Sessions For The Young

     Detroit is the ideal training ground for young and inspiring jazz musicians. For the young jazz musician Detroit, and Michigan offers excellent college and university music programs with degrees and studies in jazz. Detroit and Southeastern Michigan also offer various jam sessions in the region that will give young jazz musicians that authentic environment for learning the art and culture of jazz. In this blog I will share with you some great places for college/university age students, and serious high school music students to go for jam sessions in Detroit, and surrounding area.

     My motivation for posting this blog comes from meeting a young saxophonist auditioning for acceptance into Wayne State Universities jazz studies program. Her parents hired me to coach and work with their daughter for a private music lesson. This young lady is good! It comes to no surprise she has been accepted into Wayne States`s program; she has earned her spot. After her lesson her parents and I were discussing safe places for young music students to develop their skills and talents at local jam sessions. I was able to refer one or two places. At this point in my life I just don`t go to jam sessions or jazz clubs. Not that I have anything against jam sessions and jazz clubs, but unless I am playing there, or teaching my students, I am probably at home watching Law & Order-SVU, the local news, checking emails, and off to bed.

     I spoke with a long-time buddy of mine; trumpeter Mark Croft, and my adult saxophone student; Mark Brown, Esq, and we came-up with the following list of places that are running jam sessions in Detroit, or those who are great resources for young jazz musicians. I spoke with these gentlemen because they are friends of mine I greatly trust and respect. They know I want to offer-up a list of places to recommend where parents of young musicians can trust that their young ones can learn to play in a jam session setting, and not be exposed to the vices that is apart of an old jazz culture, and history. I am a parent too! I recommend the following:
1. In-Accord
    Kids & Jazz
    Free workshop for music students 8-18 who live in the Metro Detroit area.
    Every Sunday (except holiday weekends), 3:00-5:00 pm
    Baker`s Keyboard Lounge
    20510 Livernois,
    Detroit, MI
    www.in-accord.org
    (248)809-9886
    Al McKenzie, President & CEO
    For beginners, intermediate, and advance

2. If you ever hear of any program involving Ernest Rodgers; sign-up! NOW!

3. Cliff Bells
    Youth concert/jam sessions for university students
     Sundays from 6:00-11:00 pm
     2030 Park
    Detroit, MI 48226

4. Ed Gooch is another good resource in Detroit. If you hear of a program that involves trombonist Ed Gooch; I recommend your young musician to attend.

5. Pianist Mike Jellick has a jam session at Northern Lights, from 7:30 till Midnight, on Wednesdays. Northern Lights is located at 660 W. Baltimore, Detroit, MI 48202.

6. Harbor House Detroit, on Wednesdays. Harbor House Detroit is located at 440 Clinton Street, Detroit, MI 48226. Call for time at (313)967-9900.

7. Detroit Jazz Cafe, inside the Music Hall in Downtown Detroit, at 350 Madison. Call them at (313)887-8532. Also check-out Caduiex Cafe on the Northeast side of Detroit, at 4300 Cadieux. There phone number is (313)882-8560.

     Those are my recommendations. If you check around you should be able to find other jam sessions for your young jazz musician. Good luck to you and your young musicians, and who knows, maybe after Law & Order I`ll stop by and give a listen.
   
   

No comments:

Post a Comment