Wednesday, March 16, 2011

North American Saxophone Alliance Region 5 Conference

     On Friday and Saturday of February 25 and 26, I had the opportunity of attending my second saxophone conference. Held at Northeastern Illinois University in Chicago, the NASA conference presented some of the most interesting works to be found in the concert saxophone repertoire. If I have to make a general statement I would say some of the music and performances I liked, and some I did not.

     I bill myself as a post-bop/avant-garde jazz saxophonist, which means I enjoy avant-garde music. I discovered I enjoy avant-garde jazz, but not avant-garde concert music. I found many of the 20th and 21st century pieces to be artistic repetitions; sounding the same. Christian Lauba`s composition entitled HARD, and performed by soprano and tenor saxophonist Geoffrey Deibel was in my opinion an assault to my sensibilities, especially when Geoffrey began kicking-over music stands on-stage. There were many performances and presentations I greatly enjoyed, such as Thomas Liley`s presentation on The Saxophone in the Orchestra, and The Cleveland Duo & James Umble.

     The Region 5 Conference ended with a final recital in the auditorium, and if I had to describe that recital, I would say - WOW! NASA - Region 5 organizers saved the best for last. This final show could truly be enjoyed by everyone in the audience; not just serious saxophonist, but the lay-person who does not play an instrument. Outstanding performances from the Northwestern University Saxophone Ensemble, under the direction of Frederick Hemke; tenor saxophonist James Bunte, and Thomas Haines on guitar, playing the works of Thomas Haines; Farrell Vernon; Otis Murphy playing soprano, alto, and tenor saxophones, being accompanied by his wife Haruko Murphy on piano performing the works of Roberto Molinelli; Debra Richtmeyer; Chicago Saxophone Quarter, and closing the conference with Sousa`s Stars and Stripes Forever, performed by the Northwestern University Saxophone Ensemble.

No comments:

Post a Comment