Thursday, March 24, 2011

Can You Learn To Play Jazz From A Book?

     I was reading a thread from the discussion forum of the North American Saxophone Alliance, which I am a proud member, and I came across a thread promoting a jazz method book. I will not mention the name of the method, or author, but I am sure the method is an excellent resource. As I was reading through the review of the book and  testimonials I began thinking about my jazz education, and the jazz education of my peers. Our jazz education came from playing with jazz musicians, while studying our instruments and music with proven studies.
     My first experience with jazz comes from my family. I remember as a child listening to John Coltrane, Miles Davis, Yusef Lateef, and other jazz and blues artist, while also listening to Motown, James Brown, Sly and the Family Stone, the Stylistics, and so many others. When I started playing saxophone in high school I learn to play jazz by being in the Northwestern H.S. stage band; New Detroit Jazz Development Workshop under the direction of Marcus Belgraves; the RAPA House jam sessions led by my music teacher Mr. Ernest Rodgers, and having the opportunity to play with other musicians and young student musicians such as Kenny Garrett . After graduating from Northwestern H.S. I attended Oakland University as a music education major. Oakland`s jazz program was led by Marvin "Doc" Holiday who directed the jazz program with arrangements from Dizzy Gillespie, Frank Foster, and other jazz masters. Doc Holiday also brought-on practicing jazz artist from Detroit to provide us with applied lessons and improvisation. My teacher was Sam Sanders. Sam taught orally, and you would have to write-out the studies yourself.

     Learning jazz comes from a life style; you have to live it. Jazz musicians love jazz because we are apart of a community that supports each other, and passes down the art to the young from an oral African tradition. Of course we use music and arrangements, but older musicians transmit jazz by sharing their knowledge of the art at jam session; correcting and giving advise to younger musicians, and sharing with the young their stories of jazz musicians, clubs, the history of jazz, and their lives as jazz artist.

     Can you learn to play jazz from a book? yes, but to learn JAZZ is a way of life, and a life one has to commit too, especially if you want to play as an authentic jazz artist.

No comments:

Post a Comment