Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Bennie Maupin - From A Fan

     Before I began playing saxophone I was (and still am) a fan of Bennie Maupin. In elementary school I was playing clarinet. I continued playing clarinet in junior high school; bouncing around at different times playing first or second chair clarinet, and bass clarinet.

     It was 1973 when Herbie Hancock recorded Chameleon. On a New Years TV special bringing-in 1974, Herbie Hancock and Headhunters were featured on his hit - Chameleon. I was captivated. When the camera zoomed-in on Bennie Maupin,  well, that was it! I had to play Saxophone!

     That year I saved $400.00 from a news paper route I worked as a boy and purchase my first tenor saxophone. My first saxophone was an old York. I over paid for my first saxophone, but that $400.00 brought me closer to my hero, Bennie Maupin, and my joy and love of playing saxophone.

     I continued following Bennie Maupin`s career, and being greatly influenced by Bennie Maupin throughout junior high, high school, and college. Of course, I had mentors overseeing my progress becoming a musician, as well as a fine human being. Mentors such as Ernest Rodgers, and Sam Sanders. It was through Sam Sanders I met Bennie Maupin.

     In the early 1980`s, Sam Sanders was affiliated with the Detroit Jazz Center on Park and Elizabeth. Sam Sanders and Bennie Maupin were childhood friends, and Sam would speak of Bennie Maupin knowing I was his fan. Sam Sanders brought Bennie Maupin to the Detroit Jazz Center to play a weekend in Detroit, and you know I was there! I was captivated by Bennie Maupin.

     After his performance, and as you would expect, I went to introduce myself to my musical hero of the saxophone. I presented myself to Bennie Maupin with an Afrocentric handshake, but he responded with a traditional handshake. I do not remember what I said, but whatever it was he was unimpressed. It was clear my musical hero did not feel about me as I felt about him. Was I disappointed; yes!

     As time moved on I began establishing my musical career. Bennie Maupin has remain a major influence to my musical voice on saxophone, along with other influences such as Joe Henderson, Wayne Shorter, and John Coltrane, but my true heroes for my musical development are Ernest Rodgers and Sam Sanders; my teachers.

No comments:

Post a Comment