Saturday, February 16, 2013

Grammy Winners Of Jazz For 2013

     Unless I`m watching the Oscars, I typically do not plant myself in front of the TV to see award shows. The 2013 Grammy Awards were no exception. However, my wife and I have different taste in our television viewing habits. As I was up-stairs in our home allowing the TV to watch me, my wife was down-stairs watching the Grammy`s. I would hear my wife`s voice calling my name during my slumber to "wake-up and turn to the Grammy`s". I am so happy I did, as I had the chance to see the Tribute to Dave Brubeck, with Chick Corea on piano, Stanley Clark - bass, and Kenny Garrett on alto saxophone. It was pure joy hearing "Take 5" performed by such jazz greats. I just wish Clark, Corea, and Garrett had more playing time during the Grammy tribute to Dave Brubeck.

     Grammy winners in the jazz genres for 2013 are listed as follows:
*Best Improvised Jazz Solo
          Hot House
          Gary Burton & Chick Corea, soloist
          Track from: Hot House
          Label: Concord Jazz

*Best Jazz Vocal Album
          Radio Music Society
          Esperanza Spalding
          Label: Heads Up International

*Best Jazz Instrumental Album
          Unity Band
          Pat Metheny Unity Band
          Label: Nonesuch

*Best Large Jazz Ensemble Album
          Dear Diz (Every Day I Think of You)
          Arturo Sandoval
          Label: Concord Jazz

*Best Latin Jazz Album
          iRitmo!
          The Clare Fischer Latin Jazz Big Band
          Label: Clare Fischer Productions/Clavo Records

*Best Instrumental Composition
          Mozart Goes Danccing
          Chick Corea, composer (Chick Corea & Gary Burton)
          Track from: Hot House
          Label: Concord Jazz

*Best Instrumental Arrangement
          How About You
          Gil Evans, arranger (Gil Evans Project)
          Track from: Centennial - Newly Discovered Works
          Label: ArtistShare

*Best Instrumental Arrangement Accompanying Vocalist(s)
          City of Roses
          Thara Memory & Esperanza Spalding, arrangers
          (Esperanza Spalding)
          Track from: Radio Music Society
          Label: Heads Up International

You can find all of the 2013 Grammy winners by going to www.forbes.com/sites/zackomallerygreenburg/2013/02/11/grammy-winner-2013-the-ful-list/.

     Thank you ladies and gentlemen, and the Grammy`s, I would like to thank Stanley Clark, Chick Corea, Kenny Garrett, and my wife for waking me up. I accept this award for enjoying the Dave Brubeck Tribute.

         

No comments:

Post a Comment