Wednesday, January 30, 2013

What Are Your 10 Essential Albums For Starting A Jazz Collection?

     Just the other day I came across an online article from Pop Dose (an online arts and culture e-magazine), and it gave its list of 10 jazz albums in its article titled "10 Essential Albums For Starting A Jazz Collection". I think they gave a pretty good list of albums that covers the historical aspect of jazz to our present day. It is really great to see this article, because there are important jazz recordings that have a significant impact on jazz and cultural around the world. Pop Dose picked the following as there 10 essential albums:

10. Louis Armstrong - The Complete Hot Five & Hot Seven Recordings, vol. 1
9. Dizzy Gillespie - Groovin` High
8. Miles Davis - Kind of Blue
7. Bill Evans - The Complete Live At the Village Vanguard 1961
6. The Dave Brubeck Quartet - Time Out
5. Thelonious Monk - Brilliant Corners
4. Wes Montgomery - The Incredible Jazz Guitar of Wes Montgomery
3. The Mahavishnu Orchestra - The Inner Mounting Flame
2. Charles Mingus - Mingus Ah Um
1. Robert Glasper - Double Booked

Not a bad list; some I agree with, and some I do not. You are probably saying the same. You can see and read Pop Dose`s 10 Essentials list for yourself by going to www.stumbleupon.com/su/1zj6wI/popdose.com/10-essential-albums-for-starting-a-jazz-collection/. After reading this on-line article I began asking myself about my 10 essential recordings.

     My list of 10 essential albums for starting a jazz collection was very difficult to decide upon, because that number is much greater then 10. In making my selection of 10 I left-off some jewels. The list I am giving of my choice of 10 albums are not necessarily in a most to least order, but these are significant recordings in my development as a jazz artist and saxophonist, and music I enjoy personally:

* Ascension - John Coltrane
* Inner Urge - Joe Henderson
* Maiden Voyage - Herbie Hancock
* Giant Steps - John Coltrane
* Impressions - John Coltrane
* The Prisoner - Herbie Hancock
* E.S.P - Miles Davis
* A Love Supreme - John Coltrane
* Sorcerer - Miles Davis
* Nefertiti - Miles Davis

Missing from both list above are recordings from Charlie Parker. Make no mistake about it, the music of Charlie Parker is very essential to the development of jazz, and anyone starting a collection should add recordings of Charlie Parker to your collection.

     What are your 10 essential albums for starting a jazz collection? Please let me know by sharing in the comment section of this blog. Who knows, maybe I will share your favorites to our readers.

No comments:

Post a Comment