Sunday, January 22, 2012

Adult learners of music

     Many times in social settings when the discussion turns to - what do you do for a living? Of course my response is "I am a musician and independent music teacher". What follows are comments such as "I use to play the ...", or "I would love to play the ..., but am I too old to learn to the ...?" No! one is never too old to learn to play an instrument. I once had a violin student who was in her 80`s, and the joy she experienced learning and playing is one of the highlights in my career.

     Currently I have adult students playing clarinet, flute, and saxophone. I registered a new adult flute student from my New Years Day perfromance with vocalist Janice Simon at St. Patrick Catholic Church, in Detroit. Many adults are truly interested. I have found adult learners take-up playing an instrument for their enjoyment and relaxation, but there are also adult students taking music lessons to enter into a career in music.

     So adult, whether you are looking to take recreational music making (RMM), or music lessons to play on stage as an amateur or professional musician, it is never too late to take lessons. 

No comments:

Post a Comment