Monday, December 19, 2011

Some film experiences to share

     I can only speak for myself, but being a jazz musician in Detroit means hard work creating opportunities to perform. Teaching music is my bread and butter for making a living, while I am attending rehearsals, finding gigs to play, and from time to time playing gigs. Of course I`m always enjoying a nice hot cup of joe, but unfortunately I am not always able to partake in my passion for film. However, during the months of November and December I did have the joy of experiencing some film pleasure.

     From November 2-6, the city of Ferndale hosted the Ferndale Film Festival, at the Ferndale Public Library. Maybe it is just me, but it seems everytime I attend a film festival there is a film about Detroit. Part of me appreciates the attention given to my city, but then I wonder how much of this attention is just a chance for film makers to make their mark, and establish their film careers at the expense of Detroit. Strong From Detroit, by Jeremy Olstyn dealt with the failure of the city`s school system, and some students illegally going to schools outside the city. This documentary follows the usual script of shadowing an African-American student, or city resident as he tells everyone about life in the ghetto. I find Olstyn and his doc to be rather patronizing. Another documentary about Detroit is an Erin Curd doc entitled Gentlemen`s Club. Don`t let the title fool you, Gentlemen`s Club is a documentary about fifth grade boys at a Detroit Public School who belong to an after school program that has a major effect on the lives of the children in the program. The Gentlemen`s  Club is an inspiring documentary that ask questions of race and economic privilege. Angel Connell`s Beneath The Veneer Of A Murder was a disappointment, especially after reading the synopsis, and viewing the trailer; I was expecting something on the order of Hitchcock, but, oh well.

     The film that did deliever was Fractured Minds, by Frank Battiston. This was a disturbing film on the level of Texas Chainsaw Massacre. Frank Battiston is a film maker I am not too familiar with, but after seeing Fractured Minds I will be looking forward to seeing more films from Frank Battiston. Other films I recommend finding from the Ferndale Film Festival are Phil Baumhadt`s Tree Of The Valkyrie, and Atroz, by Francisco A. Ivarez.

     My friends and I from the Royal Oak Over-40 Movie Group viewed the Jeff Nichols film Take Shelter. Throughout the film one is left wondering if Curtis ( played by Michael Shannon ) is psychic, or just plain nuts. Take Shelter is about a man who has apocalyptic visions of a destructive storm, and acts upon his fears by building a storm shelter to protect his family, but at great cost to him with the loss of money, his job, friends, and standing in his community. This movie moves at a slow pace, and no one can accuse Take Shelter of having the classic happy Hollywood ending. Take Shelter is not a film I would recommend to my friends. Take Shelter will not make my favorite films list, but J. Edgar will!

     Bravo to another Clint Eastwood film, and Di Caprio was masterful. I think it is safe to say most Americans familiar with J. Edgar Hoover have heard all the stories of him, and let`s face-it; it`s not flattering, and it shouldn`t be. Clint Eastwood give us historical context to understand the story, while Leonardo Di Caprio does justice to Hoover by portraying him as a man shaped by history. This is a film to see, and yes, it is making my list.

     Black Swan is one of those films I missed when it came-out, but thanks to The Association For Psychoanalytic Thought of the Michigan Psychoanalytic Society, I was finally able to see some of the film. Films view with the APT are analyzed and discussed, with those in attendance only seeing parts of the film. The discussions are enlightening, and gives one a perspective that may not have been considered. Something I found interesting was the theme shared by Black Swan, and the film that did not make my list of favorites - Take Shelter. Both films share the theme of hallucinations.

    
       

No comments:

Post a Comment